Renewable Heating Design Engineer
£31,500 - £36,500 per annum
MPI have a requirement for a permanent Renewable Heating Design Engineer (Domestic) to be based in Truro.
As Design Engineer you will be the lead designer on allocated retrofit domestic projects.
You will be responsible for the full life-cycle of allocated designs, from facilitating client design briefs to surveying, engineering calculations, M&E design, and collating of documentation for O&M manuals and as-built records.
You will liaise with clients and internal stakeholders throughout the design cycle, providing monthly reporting to the Senior Surveyor, you will coach Graduate Designers, and inform process and procedure.
Rate of pay Competitive base salary: £31,500- £36,500. Dependent on qualifications and experience.
Uncapped bonus scheme: Company performance related pay plan with an OTE of 112% of base salary.
Pension: Automatic enrolment into company pension scheme.
Holiday: 25 days holiday increasing to 30 days holiday (plus bank holidays) for 5+ years' service.
Flexible working environment: We understand the benefits of flexible working conditions to meet the demands of your role, so we can accommodate a blend of working from home and office based.
To facilitate your success as a Renewable Heating Design Engineer, we will provide an innovation and achievement-oriented environment, a forum to express and test ideas, and interesting work with challenge and opportunity.
We also offer the pivotal opportunity for you to make a significant contribution to the safeguarding of our environment, driving change where it is most needed.
We will welcome you to a culture of incredibly hard-working, knowledgeable, inspiring, committed, enthusiastic, and passionate people.
We expect a lot from our staff, because we expect a lot from our industry's potential – we are all committed to the UK's 2050 path to net zero carbon, and are determined to achieve that goal, but we also want to enjoy the journey together.
This is a role for a proactive, meticulous and conscientious Design Engineer within the KCL Design Department. Significant opportunity for career progression is foreseen for an adaptable candidate with the ability to work cohesively within a within the team, and the ambition to strive for the highest level of quality in design.
· A developed understanding of building physics
· Site-surveying experience
· Working knowledge of domestic heating systems
· Ability to draw and understand mechanical schematics
· Basic understanding of GSHP Systems
· Exceptional interpersonal skills
· Proficiency in MS Excel
· 2+ years experience in a similar role
· Experience using relevant design software packages such as AutoCAD
· Relevant degree qualification (Engineering/Surveying)
· Experience using Energy Modelling software packages such as HevaComp and/or
· In depth knowledge of GSHP Systems
· Experience working with MS Project
· Electrical Engineering knowledge
· SAP, RdSAP experience/accreditation
· To build a comprehensive knowledge of Company products and to keep updated with changes in product design and application.
· To interact with clients in a calm, non-confrontational and courteous manner.
· To take responsibility for ensuring follow-up actions are taken and full information is recorded.
· To undertake training and to assist in training other members of staff as required.
· To actively and positively contribute to any appraisal process and to follow up agreed actions.
· To remain a positive ambassador of the Company at all times
· To work at all times in accordance with the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and to follow all company procedures and guidelines.
· To work at all times in accordance with the company’s Dignity & Diversity at Work Policy.
· To undertake such other duties as may be required within the general scope of the job.
Assist Clients in developing clear design briefs.
Perform inter-departmental project meetings & handovers
· Represent KCL in client design team meetings
· Authoring and adhering to design schedules
· Write, issue and review RAMS for both survey and design (CDM)
· Write, issue and review RFI documents
· Gather, assess and utilise information including UXO risk assessments, utility services drawings & OS maps
· Gather and review construction information about existing or planned properties using a variety of resources including architects plans, questioning clients and direct surveys
· Survey and design of domestic projects of all scales with minimal direct supervision required
· Specify type and size of hot water cylinders
· Authoring of project survey, and project design reports
· Maintaining and updating design project plans, notes, and logs
· Maintaining document control, drawing issue sheets, and updating third-party Document Management Systems
· Perform and facilitate and review BS EN 12831 heat loss, thermal modelling and energy calculations
· Oversee and coordinate specialist subcontractors to facilitate GSHP system design
· Creating GSHP M&E design drawings
· Liaising with clients, subcontractors and departments within KCL to communicate design information
· Administration as required to facilitate the design process
· Plan, organise and manage workload to ensure it is completed in line with project schedules and man-hour budgets
· Ensure technical correctness of discipline deliverables and compliance with client specifications and project standards
· Design compilation in line with all relevant codes and standards
· Ensure CDM 2015 compliance of design projects
· Provide coaching and support to Graduate System Designers
Place of Work
This role could be based at the Company offices in Truro, Exeter, or Bradford, with home-working also foreseen.
Further Role Benefits
Social events: Work hard, play hard, we love to host regular Company parties for staff and their families, and in recent times when we haven't been able to get together in person, we do all we can to keep spirits high.
Growth: Your development is important - we encourage and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study, and software support, all bespoke to you.
Wellbeing: Free 24/7 access to an independent and confidential Employee Assistance Programme for you and your immediate family.
Health: Private Health Insurance available after one year of service.
Active: Cycle to Work Scheme to help lower your carbon footprint whilst boosting endorphins and your health
Office culture: Aside from a fully stocked sweet cupboard, we ensure you are well-stocked and have all the technology and equipment you need to perform at your best.