Shifts: Variable including night shift
Contract: FTC for 18 months
Reports to: Depot Manager
Location: Tyseley, West Midlands
Safety Status: Safety Critical
To work independently or in a group in order to carry out the maintenance, repair, overhaul and modification of Trains and contracted TOC’s rolling stock, whilst doing this to laid down specifications in order to provide reliable and available units to operate the train service and its customers
• To attend to the servicing, maintenance, repair, overhaul and modification of traction and rolling stock
• Carry out planned preventative maintenance on rolling stock to laid down specifications.
• To at all times ensure compliance with local, company and industry safety procedures and regulations including local operating and depot protection procedures. To where competent attend to In Service Failures and undertake the duties of Designated Person as required.
• To apply depot protection for self and others, and to where required act as Designated Person ensuring that a safe system of work is in place for self, other fleet staff, contractors, visitors, passengers, public and train crew.
• Ensure the accurate completion of work records to include the generation of, completion of and sign off of work as complete and compile records of all work done in accordance with local instructions, to include use of any electronic Maintenance Management System. If required compile technical reports relating to work carried out.
• Adhering to Stores Procedures when using material. and to ensure cost effective use of said materials to include use of any electronic Maintenance Management System
• To ride units in service to gain insight into unit condition as required or directed.
• Ensure good housekeeping is carried out whilst working ensuring work areas are tidy and clean during and on completion of work. To assist in maintaining the work Technician areas in a clean and safe condition.
• Ensure compliance with processes and procedures in respect of the Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental Management Systems.
• Drive company road vehicles as required in the execution of duties.
• Where applicable instruct new entrants, apprentices, contractors and visitors, on maintenance procedures, act as mentors as required.
• Operate powered plant equipment as required
• Make recommendations to management and technical staff that lead to the improvement of technical documentation, tooling or other work practices that would lead to improved productivity/efficiency, greater safety or higher fleet reliability. (an example would be making recommendation on improvement to VMIs or on updating level checks)
Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications and Training
• Completed appropriate apprenticeship or hold relevant qualifications in electrical / mechanical engineering as specified by current company policy.
• Knowledge of West Midlands Trains maintained rolling stock (be prepared to undertake appropriate training).
• Road Vehicle driving licence and authority to drive Railway Service vehicles.
• Emergency First Aid (Compulsory)
• PTS / Designated Person Trained (if required)
• Power Plant equipment trained
• PC / IT literate (Job specific training provided)
• E2 Competent
• Some specific additional skills in this grade group E.G. Lathe Operator, Welder, Carriage repairer/painter
• Experience of all types of West Midlands Trains rolling stock attended to at locations of work. (be prepared to undertake appropriate training).
• Knowledge of communication and reporting lines for vehicles requiring maintenance/repair. (i.e. the role of Maintenance control etc)
• Medical Fitness Levels apply to this Job as manual and physical dexterity are required