Job Title: CONSTRUCTION MANAGER
Contract dates: 10/10/22 – 27/10/23
Location: WELWYN TO HITCHIN
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Construction Manager will produce and maintain an effective and robust project implementation plan to ensure safe, timely and profitable implementation and commissioning in accordance with the Company’s business objectives.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY / TASKS
• Manage the project construction deliverables through effective management of project resources, Sub-Contractors and suppliers to the required quality, time, cost and safety.
• Establish and control all site-based costs, change control, risk management and quality & safety management processes.
• Manage both internal & external interfaces and build effective relationships with the Customer and Sub Contractors.
• Be focal point on behalf of SMO with all contractors for site interface matters.
• Ensure that senior management is kept informed of project progress and performance via Siemens reporting mechanisms.
• Ensure that the customer’s requirements are clearly communicated to and understood by the Siemens project construction team.
• Ensure compliance with SMO Site and Construction Process UKI-RI-CN-PR-003
• Responsible for ensuring that all equipment is delivered to site in line with installation dates, is fit for purpose, and has proper and complete documentation
• Provide support to the Signalling CRE for all CRE and IDC matters relating to construction activities
• Organise and plan work to maximise utilisation of resources, ensure task sheets are completed timely and accurately.
• Ensure that tools and equipment are secure, in a sensible condition and are returned to the controlling organisation when not required.
• Carry out safety and quality audits on SMO installers and agency / sub-contractors.
• Ensure that the briefing of instructions to staff under his control or allocated to him for such purpose is carried out timely.
• Responsible for checking and certifying time sheets ensuring correct hour booking and appropriation.
• Responsible for the timekeeping and discipline of staff under his control.
• Monitor and control budgets as allocated to him, prepare reports and programmes as required by the Project Manager.
• Planning day to day work of self and others and accountable for own teams utilisation and reporting.
• Manage the preparation and submission of tenders and quotations, as directed by the Project Manager from time to time for new works and contract variations, to critical timescales ensuring that documents comply with customer specification and are acceptable to the Company.
• Attend or arrange appropriate representation at regular meetings with the customer to review progress, performance and value.
• Hold regular project construction team progress meetings to review site progress and performance.
• Ensure that the performance of suppliers and Sub-Contractors is monitored by surveillance and inspection and that the contract specification and all relevant standards are implemented in totality.
• Have overall responsibility for handover of all site works and or services provided by Siemens to the client.
• Ensure that the Plans provided by Sub-Contractors for Quality, Safety & Environment are reviewed for adequacy and that no conflict exists with SMO’s activities.
• Be responsible for Health & Safety and Environmental management as defined in the Construction Health & Safety Plan and the Environmental Plan.
• Set up and manage the construction and installation group for the office.
• Be the focal point for all construction matters for the office.
• Ideally Graduate in Engineering related discipline.
Knowledge & Experience:
Knowledge of the Signalling Engineering business and its products and all processes relating to the Management of contracts and projects.
• High level of negotiation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Engineering Manager (Installation) IRSE license or significant Civil Engineering background/competence.
Specific Health, Safety & Environmental Responsibilities for this Post:
Set and lead the right behaviours to support creating a robust H&S culture.
Set an example by their own actions and activities.
Set targets and objectives for H&S and environmental for their direct staff, using the HSE tool and processes on the BMS for managing H&S and environmental objectives.
Check that directed staff are capable and competent to undertake the tasks allocated to them.
Allow time for direct employees to complete training on the use of the BMS allowing for effective implementation of the SMO UKI EHS Manuals, Plans, SSOW and other activities to ensure compliance with PCL requirements.
Communicate and encourage feedback on H &S and environmental issues
Undertake appropriate disciplinary action for any breach of H&S following the just culture process.
Investigate accidents or incidents to determine basic causes, feedback information both up and down the organisation using the SMO reporting system.
Make available appropriate H&S equipment to employees.
Undertake H&S tours or inspections; take action where deficiencies are observed
When unable to rectify or remedy unsafe situations either stop work if the risk is too high and/or report the deficiency (and involve HSE) to the Project Manager for action
Promote and use the business procedures to control and manage work
Understand the H&S and environment risks involved in any activity they control and ensure any mitigation designated to control that risk are effectively operated/implemented
Be prepared and be competent to manage any for-seen emergency situations
Become involved in any work safe problem and help resolve that problem
Maintain their competence to manage their own H&S and environmental responsibilities and contribute to their directs competence to manage their H&S and environmental responsibilities