Job Title: Project Control Specialist
Contract Dates: ASAP – 31/05/24
Location: Euston, London
As Planning & Project Controls Lead you will develop the planning function for the East Coast Digital Programme; you will ensure that the planning team have the correct skills, processes, and governance to support the successful delivery of the portfolio of works. As a key member of project management team, you will ensure that all procedures and tools are deployed consistently to ensure planning and reporting requirements are met at both project and overall ECDP contract level.
You will be a key member of the wider planning & controls community and actively participate in continuous improvement and best practice initiatives. You will be responsible for the quality of planning and will support the wider business planning requirements of the organisation through proper resourcing of plans.
What are my responsibilities?
- Lead the planning function for the ECDP Projects, taking responsibility for all programme planning and associated controls within the delivery portfolio.
- Be responsible for identifying and assisting in recruiting planning resources to support the delivery of the ECDP projects.
- Continuous development of the various tiered scalable schedules to manage the overall ECDP programme of works
- Develop and implement an interface management strategy/plan to control the numerous and complex programme interfaces
- Monitor and manage the inter-project and external programme interfaces across the whole of the ECDP Programme of works
- Scalable reporting on the status of interface’s and recommended mitigations where required
- Ensure that all project plans are developed and maintained in accordance with the ECDP contract requirements, and procedures and processes.
- Be the planning and controls subject matter expert and ensure consistent application of standards and procedures, including templates and guidance and support across the team
- Work closely with the project, commercial and finance managers and members of the wider project team to ensure project schedules are accurately developed, maintained, resource and cost loaded.
- Work closely with the central Bids & Tendering team to ensure tender plans are developed through the mobilisation process into contract plans.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with client representatives and work collaboratively to find the most efficient and effective planning and controls solutions.
- Ensure that the periodic ECDP reporting requirements are met for both internal and client through the provision of KPI, EV, schedule delay and critical path analysis reports as required.
- Perform analysis and scenario modelling for any potential project change and be able to provide risks, issues, cost, resource and delay analysis.
- Promote and improve planning and controls within the organisation.
- Support and participate in the wider planning community through attendance of the Planning & Controls forum and through the ownership and active participation in continuous improvement activities.
The Planning and Controls Lead needs to have:
- Significant Rail Experience
- Significant Primavera P6 planning experience (10 years at least)
- Ideally experience of managing a team but not essential
- Experience of major programmes of work and alliancing (£100m+ and preferably Crossrail/HS2/Thameslink type programme experience)
- Ideally experience of working both client side and Tier 1 contractor side
- Experience of Level 1 to detailed level planning
- Experience of integration of multiple programmes
- Experience of process development and written documentation
- Ideally railway signalling experience
- ETCS/Digital railway experience desired but not essential.
- Ideally NEC contract experience
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Degree/HND/HNC level qualifications or relative demonstrable experience.
- Experience of leading a planning team to deliver major infrastructure projects preferably in the rail industry.
- Experience of leading the planning function for a business or a major programme of works
- Experience of integration planning and managing a strategy for controlling a significant number of project interfaces
- Experience of working with senior management both internally and in the client organisation.
- Technical planning expert to advanced Primavera level with knowledge and use of other planning tools such as MS Project
- Self-motivated with sound interpersonal and communication skills, coupled with an assertive style of behaviour.
- Practiced analytical and problem solving skills
- Technical/Engineering/Business background ideally with knowledge of railway signalling.
- Working knowledge and experience of project management methodologies, e.g. Prince 2.