We are recruiting for a Safety Assurance Engineer to work in Derby for our Client who specialises in providing mission-critical software, control systems and data science led solutions, primarily in the transport industry. Their vision is to create a truly connected rail network, using our deep technology expertise and rail industry experience to deliver game-changing solutions that meet transport challenges across the UK and beyond.
As a Safety Assurance Engineer, you will work with project management, technology specialists and delivery resources to provide product assurance and engineering safety management to meet rail industry standards and regulations for both new and modified products, covering development and support of Traffic Management and safety-related signalling control systems in a safety case led environment.
PERMANENT POSITION PREFERRED HOWEVER CONTRACT BEING CONSIDERED.
What are the key objectives?
• Deliver against product assurance and engineering safety management requirements as an integral part of the project team
• Provide appropriate technical input and verification; in software quality assurance, hazard identification, risk assessment, writing/reviewing of safety plans, management of hazard records, safety requirements and safety integrity levels, development/review of safety cases and safety justification reports
• Liaise with other internal and external product and safety assurance teams to continue to grow our respected reputation and trust in our product assurance credentials
• Contribute to quality and safety-related product development, supporting process improvement
• Always operate conscientiously and safely with due regard to confidentiality and security
Top Internal Relationships
1. Programme Realisation team
2. Functional Directors/Managers
3. Technology specialists and delivery resources
4. Product owner, QA representatives and client product approval teams
• Experience with engineering safety management process, hazard identification, risk assessment and derivation of safety requirements
• Understanding of software quality assurance and the software development lifecycle
• Understanding of legal and safety regulatory railway operation frameworks, e.g. Common Safety Method for risk evaluation and assessment, regulatory guidance, client acceptance process, etc.
• Familiarity with the relevant CENELEC standards (e.g. BS EN 50126, BS EN 50128, BS EN 50129)
• A good appreciation of RAM analysis and in the UK, Network Rail’s Design for Reliability Process
• Practical experience of applying engineering safety throughout system development lifecycles
• Knowledge/experience of rail signalling control systems and interfaces with interlockings
• Awareness of the European Railway Traffic Management System (ERTMS)
• Quality and/or safety auditing experience
• A proactive and resilient self-starter, able to work effectively under her or his own initiative
• Highly organised with excellent organisation and time management skills
• Able to motivate and influence individuals, to meet product assurance requirements
• Qualified to degree-level, preferably with CEng or working towards equivalent Chartership