Senior Design Engineer (Rail Telecoms)
Reporting to the Design Manager (Telecoms), the Senior Design Engineer (Telecoms) undertakes the delivery of the engineering design aspects of Telecoms tenders and projects within agreed timescales and budgeted costs and is responsible for its contribution to overall business performance.
What are my Responsibilities?
• Delivery of Telecoms engineering designs / activities to the agreed time, cost, quality, safety and performance requirements.
• Lead Telecoms engineering tasks to deliver system development and implementation, including sub-contractors where applicable.
• Produce Telecoms engineering technical and Health and Safety documentation deliverables to meet project requirements.
• Plan, co-ordinate and manage Telecoms engineering tasks including resources and equipment in order to deliver tasks effectively and efficiently.
• Regularly report Telecoms engineering task progress and status.
• Support the provision of estimating for engineering projects and tenders with regard to engineering resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
• Complete personal and business objectives agreed under the Performance Management Process.
• Ensure the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools are applied throughout the engineering life cycle.
• Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered in accordance with the clients Mobility Safety and Quality procedures and meet all applicable legislative, safety and customer requirements.
• Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered and undertaken in accordance with customer Health and Safety procedures and requirements within main line rail, light rail and mass transit environments.
• Perform the role of Telecom Design CRE / Lead design for small scale projects
• Identify and report project scope change.
• Maintain and develop good relationships with internal and external customers, industry associations, suppliers and Partners.
What experience do I need to apply for this role?
• HNC/HND or equivalent in relevant subject
• Incorporated Engineer or equivalent status.
• IRSE License in relevant category (Telecoms Design)
• An engineering background with previous experience in a relevant Telecoms engineering environment.
• Supervision and delivery of development and implementation project tasks within the Main Line, Mass Transit and Light Rail environment.
• Proven success leading and motivating a team of Telecoms engineers for effective design and delivery of telecommunications systems.
• Experience and knowledge of implementation project engineering processes covering development, design, construction, test, commissioning and handover.
• Knowledge and application of requirements management.
• Knowledge of Safety Critical and Safety Related activities in the rail environment
• Proven flexibility in the role as it requires an element of travelling and unsociable hours working which may include night working, weekend working and bank holiday working.
• Proven experience of design delivery of Operational Telecommunications systems & engineering activities in the rail environment.
• Proven experience of integrating third party sub-systems into complete solutions.
• Proven experience providing support for estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regard to resources, plans, technology, risk and process.
• System knowledge of:
o Copper Cable
o Optical Fibre Cable
o Lineside Cable Route
o Transmission SDH and PDH
o Network switches and routers
o Modem Systems
o Immunisation Systems
o Signal Post Telephone Concentrator Systems
o PABX Telephony systems
o Voice Over IP
o Lineside Telephony
o Public Emergency Telephone System
o Driver Only Operation (Mirror, CCTV, Monitor)
o Uninterruptible Power Supplies
o Charger and Battery Power Supplies
o Rail Signalling System Circuits
o Earthing Systems
o Station Information and Security System CCTV, PA, Help Point
• Knowledge of BS7671 wiring regulations desirable.
• Good knowledge of IT systems and software, especially Microsoft Office and Project.
• Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
• Strong organizational, time management and problem solving skills.
• Network Rail Personal Track Safety competency.
• Full UK Driving license.